Sunday, August 15, 2010

You've got a friend in me...

26322" border="0">
Kaley is gone...Mom and Dad are gone...Cynthia is gone...Rhonda is HERE!

That is a lot of gone for one week...Let me tell you that was a bit stressful. There were A LOT of suitcases around my house that week and part of me just wanted to climb in one and head home with somebody.

Kaley left on Wednesday...that was the hardest goodbye for me. She has quickly become my person in Korea...the person I would see everyday, get a hug from...I miss hugs...laugh with, have crazy zany adventures with, watch movies with, and eat breakfast with. We had been together pretty much every day for the last 9 months. I almost feel like part of me is missing. It is very strange.

Rhonda came on Thursday. I have a NEW roommate! And you will never guess where she is from! She is from the great state of Minnesota! She is even from Minneapolis! Crazy small world eh?

It was a busy week with showing her the ropes and finishing Mom and Dad's epic Asian Adventure. I enjoyed the busyness but also felt pulled in several directions because I was still trying to deal with Kaley's departure. Then Mom and Dad left on Sunday.

As I waited for the bus on Sunday to go to church I put my IPOD earphones in my ear and started listening to music. I got on the bus and made my way to the back...my normal seat and pulled my sunglasses over my eyes and sat there. As I sat there I realized...I was tired. I was physically and emotionally exhausted. Then I thought back to last week when I was riding that same bus with my parents and Kaley and we were all tired from our trip to China and Kaley put her head on my shoulder. And then the tears came...the came and came and came...and I had it out, and it was good. It was exactly what I needed in a way. I needed to feel a bit sorry for myself and I also needed to feel sad before I met up with some of the greatest people in the world...who I knew would take some of my sad away.

I have been blessed with these friends see...these friends that keep me on my toes. They make me laugh, the make me think, and they are ALWAYS entertaining! Kaley and I met them at church about 4 months ago. They are great! John, Laura, and Ian. Last Sunday they were my angels.

I met them at church and then we went out for our usual Sunday lunch. This is quickly becoming a highlight of my week. Then...it happened...the perfect day. Exactly what I needed.

It all started with that good cry...which no one saw so that was why it was so good.
Then I had a good time at church.
We were posh and had a nice cab ride to lunch.
Ate a delicious lunch with friends. Shared fun stories. Had lots of laughs. Had monster cookies for dessert.
Had a second dessert...bought cheap ice cream and then sat on the comfiest bench in the world at the grocery store to eat them in the air conditioner.
We all had a major realization that everything we do revolves around food and eating so we vowed to change that and do something else.
Ian had the brilliant idea to play poker. So we sat outside in the shade and played poker for the next two hours.
We had some more good conversation.
Said goodbye...made plans to meet up sometime in the week.
Rode the bus home.
Went to bed at 9:30...the perfect day.

One thing I have learned about myself is that I NEED people. I don't need to be that person who has millions of friends but I need to have a few close ones. Ones that I can confide in but also have a good time playing with. I remember before I came to Korea visiting Curt and talking to him. He asked me what I was most worried about. I looked at him and said, "Making friends." He looked at me and laughed and said, "As if that is so hard for you." I said...well in some ways it is. I can be friendly to almost anyone but friendship is different for me. I like to cultivate a few close relationships instead of creating a large social network. That was my one prayer for Korea..."God let me have a friend" He did! More than just one even! :) Kaley leaving was and continues to be hard...but having such great friends only a mere 30minutes away is a blessing! They are a blessing to me...I am so great full to them! They are golden biscuits! ;)

Hols




1 comment:

  1. Hi love. I thank God for The Kids too. I'm glad they are there for you.

    ReplyDelete