It was so good to see Curt! We met up at about 8:30 Friday morning. We hung out at the airport and caught up...sitting outside on the roof in the sun, drinking coffee, and talking. It was perfect. The perfect way to start the weekend. Our flight was perfect...we were even seated in an exit row...although the flight was only an hour we were thankful for the extra leg room. I did think it was amusing that they allowed us to sit in an exit row because if there was an emergency we would not be able to communicate with about 98% of the people on the plane...
We got to Jeju got our luggage and caught a crabby taxi to our hotel. The taxi driver was not in a good mood but we arrived safely and found our room. Interesting thing...our hotel had no fourth floor...There was not even a fourth floor button in the elevator...We couldn't figure it out...I mean just because you don't label it as 4 it is still the 4th floor off the ground right? After ditching out stuff we went next door for some internet and subs. We ate and tried to connect with the real world. After lunch we hailed a cab to the bus terminal so we could go up to Hallasan...the tallest mountain in Korea. This cab driver was much nicer and even took us on a scenic cherry blossom lined street. We got our bus tickets...Yipeee for Curt's Korean and made our way up the mountain.
We got to the trail head and they told us that it closes at 12 so people have adequate time to hike up and back down. We thought this was stupid...but who are we to make the rules. The lady spoke English though and directed us to a foothill that we could hike instead. We decided to do it and get some pictures of Hallasan from one of its foothills. When we got back to the parking lot we noticed that there were about 20-30 buses of middle school students. They started talking to Curt because they were fascinated with how tall he was and the girls thought he was handsome. It was pretty funny.
We caught a bus back down the mountain and then walked around the bus terminal area. We found some interesting street food we were both not brave enough to try and talked to some more students who were in town for a sports day. It was one busy place! We found some possible things to do in my guidebook so we hailed a cab and told him where we wanted to go. A little hint on traveling and using cabs....If you have to show your cab driver where your destination is on the map more than once...chances are you might get a little lost. Well we did reach our destination only to discover that the name changed and that was why the cab driver had no idea what we were talking about. We were going to see a kind of Korean Circ-de-olle. We missed the first 15 minutes of the show but we got a super good discount so we didn't care! We saw acrobats, a contortionist, aerialists, gymnasts, and trapeze flyers. It was amazing!
We ate dinner, planned our Saturday, and went to bed. Saturday morning we had free breakfast at the hotel and made our way to the bus terminal again. Destination: other side of the island. We had a plan and it worked out beautifully. We saw everything we wanted to see and more.
The can driver tried to kill us...on multiple occasions. From where I was sitting I could see his odometer and at one point I saw it at 120kph (74mph). Please note that we were on a road that was probably 50 mph. tops and it wasn't that he was just going fast he was impatient, reckless, and most likely ADHD...He was crazy! It was an adventure.
That night we went our for dinner, did some light shopping at an underground mall, and walked around. We decided that we had enough time on Sunday to catch a few more sights.
We got back to Seoul, got our luggage, and waited for Kasoon to come and pick up Curt. We had a quick goodbye...which was good for me because I couldn't help but let the waterworks flow a little bit...it was just so good to see family. Then Curt was off for more Korean adventures and I started my long trek home. I got home and I crashed...after I unpacked and did laundry of course...do you know me at all? Today, so many people asked me about my trip and commented on my color...as mentioned before I got a little color on my face. All the teachers at work are jealous of my trip. I am so happy we went to Jeju but the very best part of the trip for me was spending time with family. I have been truly blessed to have such an amazing family! I can't wait for my parents to come and visit in July! I am so excited!
Sorry this is such a long one...this was truly a great adventure! Thanks for coming Curt! I had a great time! Bonnema cousins....start thinking of the next palooza...no it does not have to be in a foreign country...just together.
Holly
I'm in for the next Cousin Palooza, and I'm bringing a shirt for Curt that says "I'm Handsome in Korea". LOL.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a great weekend.
Steve
taxi scare and stair car ramming. these I haven't heard...
ReplyDelete