So I have this class of 5th grade elementary students...and they are some of my favorite kids. There are only four of them in the class. There are three girls and one boy. Sam...the boy...is incredibly sweet and cute. He has freckles, a little bit chunky, and had that hair that doesn't stay flat...you know it is a little bit fluffy.
Lora is super smart and she can get really loud! She has one of those extremely high pitched middle school girl voices. Wowza! Sian is more quite but super sweet. She answers a lot of my questions about culture and what I should do when. Mary is also incredibly sweet. She is a very accomplished piano player...although to hear her talk about her talent is rare and she is very humble. We have a lot of fun together and our 40 minute class always seems to fly by.
Recently, I sneezed in class...like the good sneezer that I am I covered my sneeze in my elbow. SIan noticed this right away and she said, "Oh Holly Teacher, you are good! You are just like our health poster at school! Korean's do not know how to ach ach properly!" To which I promptly replied "I know...Korean's are not good at covering their mouths. I also find it disgusting when they hack up loogies and spit them where ever they want...they don't care if they are inside, outside, or on a train. They just spit!" To which she replied "I KNOW they are so GROSS!" This is when my quiet Mary spoke up and started to tell me about a boy in her class name Hwong-Soon-Min.Hwong-Soon-Min is disgusting. It sounds like he has the worst manners of any child I have ever come across. Mary started telling me story after story...and the best part was that after every story she would say "uh Hwong-Soon-Min." This went on for a couple of weeks. Every day I would ask if there were any good Hwong-Soon-Min stories and Mary and Sian would quickly tell me the latest disgusting thing he did.
I have high hopes of writing a children's book about bad manners and having Hwong-Soon-Min be this incredibly disgusting child who repulses everyone in his class...until he meets a new friend Mary and she teaches him and tells him how to behave properly.I even know what Hwong-Soon-Min is going to look like in my head! I also want to find some way to record the way they say "uh Hwong-Soon-Min" and play it every time Hwong-Soon-Min does something dreadful.
I had to capture this on video. Here is Mary telling me all about what Hwong-Soon-Min did at school today. Sian and Lora help her with the "uh Hwong-Soon-Min." This is also a really good depiction of how Korean middle school girls speak...They are pretty whiny. But I love these girls and I hope you enjoy the disgusting adventures of Hwong-Soon-Min.
I promise a blog about our Trip to Busan is coming this week...We also had a great biking trip to the Seonydo/Gogunsan islands this weekend. We rented bikes and spent some time basking in the sun. It was highly tranquil and 100% what my soul needed.
xoxo
Holly
Holly that is hilarious, and of course I love to hear your laugh. :)
ReplyDeleteI had to watch it twice to figure out what Mary was saying, and still couldn't get it, but I suppose your 9 months being there helps you figure it out quickly! Cute how disgusted they are at the end of the story :)