Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!
Today, I received two letters...Actual letters from home. In this day in age it is so easy to keep in contact with each other...skype, blogs, facebook, email, instant messaging, text messaging, we are continually linked in...but is our sense of community suffering. My friend wrote to me about community today and forming community and how wonderful it is to belong to community. The fact that she actually took time to write down words she could have typed showed me that she values me as part of her community...it is just harder because we are separated by distance. It isn't as easy to hold one another accountable or even as easy to encourage or support one another. I can tell you that all I wanted to do to and for this friend was to give her a hug...Hugging is one of my favorite things to do and I don't feel like I get enough hugs these days...but my arms actually ached to provide encouragement, support, and love for my friend. Community...that is something I miss most. I am s.l.o.w.l.y. starting to form community here but it is different. This Sunday in church Pastor Dan preached on citizenship...It was a good message to hear. He said that the hardest thing for a lot of ex-pats living in Korea is that we are living one place and our roots are in another....it is hard to live away from your roots. You often don't feel like you are getting the nutrients you need or that at any moment a strong wind may come and blow you over. Although we have roots here our real citizenship is in Heaven...can you imagine the community there?!?!?!
These are just some of the thoughts that have been taking up some brain space this week. Community...what a beautiful word....I love good community...I HAVE good community...but I do miss it...it is hard to form the community that we as Christians desire. It takes a lot of work to live in community but it is totally worth it!
Thanksgiving:
I had to work on Thanksgiving and boy was that strange. I really like going to church on Thanksgiving day...it is also all about being with friends and family. Cynthia and I are the only Americans at our school so it really wasn't a big deal for anyone but us. I did get into the spirit and make a lovely hat...and we went out for curry...It was delicious...I feel like I could dedicate a whole post to how delicious Nan is...that is something I am pretty sure I could eat everyday...imagine that me loving bread...who knew...please understand that is laced with sarcasm.
I also spent a good chunk of the weekend in Seoul. I went in Saturday afternoon and went to a museum then I made my way to Itaewon and went to the English bookstore and bought the book Wicked so I can see the play! Then I went to Starbucks and read my book for about and hour and a half. Then Jenny came and we went to Outback Steakhouse...I got fish...I know that is lame but that is what I really wanted...please don't be disappointed! After supper we went back to Jenny's and we played games and talked! Before we knew it, it was 1 o'clock...we got ourselves to bed and after a breakfast of leftover turkey (yum) we went to church. After church we went out for pizza and then I headed home. It was a great weekend!
Would you like some jeans with your meat??? What? I have more pictures posted on facebook if you are interested! I will try to be more regular in my blogging! Let me know your thoughts if you have any...leave a comment
Holly
No comments:
Post a Comment