Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Chuseok

Chuseok is a big holiday here in Korea...so big that we actually have some school vacation. Chuseok- and I am not sure I am spelling that right- is a kind of Korean Thanksgiving. From what I gather it is a time for families to get together and eat a lot of food. There is also a time to honor ancestors.

Many of the foreign teachers at my school are taking this time to go to Beijing. I will not be headed to China. I am staying in Korea and I fully intend on getting lost at least twice! On Thursday I am actually going to meet up with a Korean family that my cousins Curt and Amy know from church. They spent a few years in the states and now they are back in Korea. They actually live fairly close to me. I am going to meet them at the train station and then we are going to go to the zoo in Seoul. They are also going to connect me with an English speaking church! I am really excited about that!

On Friday, I am going to venture out with Carol and Vernon and we are going to attempt to take a bus out to an island near Oido-a small fishing town not too far from here. Apparently this island is quite nice and there is some good hiking.

On Saturday, we are hoping to venture into Seoul to see some of the palaces and temples. There will probably be a lot of celebrations and festivals in honor of Chuseok.

I am hoping to go to church on Sunday and then on Monday I think we will have a picnic at Okgu park and perhaps hike the mountain.

I am happy to have at least one activity in mind for each day because both of my roommates are headed to Beijing...so I think I could get a little lonely! I am really excited for the break and to have time to explore some of Korea. I will keep you posted and I will try to remember to take some pictures.

Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment