So I have survived week one and I am officially on Korean time. It still seems strange for me to think that back home people are just starting off their day when I am getting ready to end mine.
The plane ride was blissfully uneventful. I had an extra seat next to me on the long flight so I was able to relax a little more than I had thought I would be able to. I tried to stay awake on the flight so I would be tired when I got here and I was able to stay awake for the majority of the flight by watching the in flight movies. I really love flying internationally because you get your very own TV screen! I watched almost every movie that was available!
I was picked up at the airport by a man who works at the school. He didn't really speak English but I could tell he was impressed my amazing packing ability...not...he was probably thinking...why does this American need so much crap!
I am in the city Si-hueng...it took us about an hour and a half to get to the school from the airport. I tried to stay awake and I did but I was really drowsy...the Garmin that was in the car was HUGE and it also played television....imagine driving while watching TV....I could totally get on board with that!
I went to the school and met the teachers and saw what the school looked like. I was at this point delirious...but slapped a smile on my face and acted interested and enthusiastic. My apartment was indeed not ready so I made my way over to my temporary home with two of the Korean teachers. I got to the apartment and no one was home of course because they were teaching and I literally took out my contacts, brushed my teeth, put on my pajamas, and fell into bed...only to discover that I was sleeping on the hardest mattress ever....I struggled to find a position that was comfortable and eventually drifted off to sleep.
The next three days were spent observing and prepping and then I started teaching on Friday. I have nine classes total and they are all at varying levels....Obviously I like the little kids the most...because I always do...but all the kids are nice and are eager to learn English.
I moved into my new home yesterday and unpacked. I am living with two other teachers Sam, she is from England, and Cynthia, who is from California. Now it is time to go to bed...I will try to post tomorrow and I will try really hard to post some pictures from my hike up Ok gu mountain.
Goodnight!
Holly
I miss you! I cannot believe you stayed awake that long...I would have been out for sure! What was your fav. movie on the flight? Excited to read about your adventure!
ReplyDeleteKelly