This picture is re-used...but it portrays what I am going to talk about so nicely I had to stick it in...
Most of the best conversations and times in my life have been simply sitting at a table enjoying food with other people. I love that...I love BBQ's and picnics in the summer, suppers that last for hours because you can't move because you are too stuffed or the company is so good that you don't want to spoil it. The times that stick out most in my head are suppers growing up, college roommate suppers, Keizer suppers, 3105 monthly get togethers, dinner time with the Suhs, Nigerian lovefeasts, family reunion meals, and even dinners in front of the TV watching a movie...you know who you are. All these times were times of fun, fellowship, and excellent conversation and company. These are some of my happiest moments. I love spending time with people I love. I have missed this...a lot since I have come to Korea. My first 'feeling of home' was when Jenny invited me out for lunch after church...this in the life of me...incredibly necessary at that time and thoroughly enjoyed.
Kaley and I have started having breakfast club on Tuesdays and Thursdays...she finishes teaching and comes over to my house at 8 am...I make breakfast and then we walk to the corner together where she heads to the gym and I head off to work. They are the highlight of my week. My roommates are catching on to our schedule and on more than one occasion have joined us. It is great~ Kaley has quickly become my family...my person that I eat meals with, talk to, share frustrations with, and laugh uncontrollably with almost daily.
I am also eating lunch with Lucy on a daily basis...this too has been extremely enjoyable and necessary in the life of me. We have some good talks and I have learned a lot from her. She is a great friend to have at ECC. Through all this fellowship I have realized that breaking bread together is so necessary. It is not good for us to always be eating on the go or eating alone. I feel like that a lot. I feel like I eat mainly because it is time and I have to quick squeeze it in before I am late for my next thing...I don't take time to savor.
Taking time to savor not only my food but also my company is something I am working on. I feel myself moving too quickly. Running from here to there or to the next thing and forgetting to enjoy the moment. Take a breath...take a bite...taste the bite. Listen...I mean really listen to what the people around you are saying. What they need, what you need to say to them.
I don't know how many of you are reading my random ramblings...but here is a challenge. Share a meal with someone...really sit down...make some food...talk to one another and I guarantee time will pass quickly and you to will not want to leave the table.
Break bread...fellowship...taste...and breathe...
Holly
No comments:
Post a Comment