Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My Favorite Korean moment...so far

Today was a very important day in the lives of Koreans. The Koreans are very proud of their Olympic athletes...well today was the day that the skater known to the world as Kim Yu-Na skated. I say known to the world as Kim Yu-Na because in Korea her name is Yon-a-Kim. That is how they say it anyway. Cynthia and I were watching the figure skating all morning and I was just waiting for Yu-Na...Finally, we had to get going to the gym so Kaley and I decided that we would do the hiker today so we could watch the Olympics. We finished on the hiker at about 12:45...she still hadn't skated...but we knew it was coming soon because we were able to see her warm up. We decided to stretch all the while keeping our eyes on the many TVs that are in the gym. We finished stretching and she still had not skated. We decided that we had enough time to run upstairs and watch her skate on the big TV in the sauna. Well, as we reached the top of the stairs we saw a small crowd of people sitting in the main lobby area watching the giant screen...We decided that this would be the perfect place to watch Yu-na skate. We took our places along side Basher, (our friendly personal trainer who bows to us every morning and knows no English...his name is not really Basher that is what we call him) the front desk ladies, (who also speak no English but know us by name and gym number) some older Korean businessmen, some ladies just fresh from the shower, and some golfers on their way up to the driving range. It was an odd assortment of people and they were all glued to the TV...just like Kaley and me. Kim Yu-na took to the ice at 1:00...her score was posted at 1:05...I know this because there is a big red digital clock right above the TV. We were able to catch the routine of the Chinese girl who went right before Yu-na and we knew we were in for a treat because the Koreans were clapping and ooohing and aaahing like it was the fourth of July every time she took to the air.
Do you ever have those moments where you just long for your camera? Well I had one today at 1:00pm. Yu-na takes to the ice and the room is silent. The music starts...smiles. The first jump...collective breaths being held....the landing...shouts and cheers and clapping all around. The second jump....catches of breath....clapping....sit spin...ooohhhh...jump....aaahhhh....ending toe pick pointed gun....shouts and clapping by all. It was hysterical! It was so entertaining. I want to do it again and again. I wish with all of my heart that I would have caught it on video. Then...the score. 78.50!!!! Wow! You would have thought everyone in the room won the lottery people were so happy! Kaley leans over to me and asks "Do you think Korea just stopped for the last 5 minutes?" I looked at her and said, "Most definitely" It was great. I hope the next time she skates I can be in the same place.
Some of my students were pretty excited about Yu-na Kim as well. This is Doil one of my favorites...don't get lost in his dimples...he is pretending to be a Korean Newscaster. This is right at the beginning of class and the kids are pretty geeked up so they are loud and a slightly out of control.


This time Doil attempts to do it in English. He really has no idea what to say because he has never heard a sports cast done in English...Please notice that the kids are more in control...the bell rang and I told them to calm down a bit. This is one of my favorite classes...They are such good kids!

Today was also the S n E (preschool) graduation. Not only was it the graduation but it was the last ever S n E event. Sadly, I didn't have any of these classes but I did make some friends with some of the kids. This is Jerrod. He is so cute...he is FULL of energy and mischief and was sure to come and give me a hug at least every day. Well he graduated tonight and he brought something to show me...I was sitting at my desk in between classes and Jerrod comes in holding a purse. I didn't really think anything of it because men in Korea do carry purses...I mean like actual purses. Then he said, "Holly teacher, look." So I peered into his handbag and what did I see? A hedgehog! He brought his hedgehog to school in a purse! This thing sat through the whole graduation and supper. His mother had the foresight to line the bag with toilet paper...but needless to say I don't think that purse will be used as a purse anytime soon....Oh Jerrod...you make me smile!

Well...two posts in one week...that is pretty good. Hiking this weekend. I am excited for the fantastic views....Hopefully my knee will make it the whole day and we will have gorgeous weather. We are hoping to see the sunrise!

Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment