No pictures from this one again...sorry. John may have one of us eating Galbi so I will try to snag that and post it. Otherwise I let a perfect weekend escape me without one single picture.
Friday night came and I headed over to Ansan for a sleepover at Laura's house. We wanted to have a sleepover so we could get an early start on the bicycles. We had a lovely evening chatting, playing games, and watching McLeod's Daughters.
In Ansan they have this wonderful program where commuters can 'rent' bicycles to get to work after their train ride in. All you need is a id card. Well, we all have id cards so we decided that we should 'rent' bicycles for the day on Saturday and ride them all over Ansan. It was epic. What a great thing. We walked to the station. Handed over our cards...some of us didn't actually have our cards because they were being processed for upcoming Chuseok trips...but the ladies were gracious and let us borrow bikes for the day anyway. We filled out a waiver form...which we couldn't actually read or understand. Pumped some air into our tires and were off exploring! It was great! It really made me wish I had got a bike when I first came to Korea. It is so much easier and faster to get around on a bike instead of walking or taking public transit every where. We had a lot of fun tooling around on our bright green bikes! We went to Ansan lake park and conquered some serious overpasses, Ian scaled some jumps at the bike park, and we all sat in the shade and enjoyed a nice cool drink. We were going to head to Laura's house to avoid riding in the heat of the day, when Laura realized she had a flat tire. So we went back to the station instead and got her a new bike. It was much easier than any of us anticipated! We got back on our bikes and raced our way home to wait out the sun.
We hung out a bit, played some cards, watched some McLeod's Daughters and then we decided that we were a bit hungry. So we road our bikes back to the rental shop because we had to return them by 5:30 and then and went and had some delicious Galbi. It was fantastic. This is the only picture I remember taking all day with John's camera so...as soon as I get it I will post it.
After supper we went back to Laura's and Laura, Ian and I played some pepper with the volleyball and then Ian and I played some badminton. We were pretty great at it if I must say so myself. We had 69 straight volleys with no drops...and these were proper smacks not just little fluff guys. I made us drop because I was getting dizzy from looking up all the time...weakest link. While we were playing John wanted to 'close his eyes for a bit.' This bit unfortunately turned into a proper nap and he missed all the fun.
Since the weather was nice we decided to sit outside the local convenience store and have a beer. While we were sitting there a few foreigners stopped by and we had a chat. I felt like I was at home again just chatting across the fence to the neighbors...a real sense of community. It was nice. It is nice to talk to other people who speak English. I am excited about that for when I go home.
We were having such a good time together and Laura and Ian weren't too sick of me so they said I should spend the night because it didn't make much sense for me to go home only to come back for church the next morning. They didn't have to work too hard to convince me so our sleepover entered into the realm of extreme. John headed home because he wanted to watch the rugby match between Australia and South Africa...he missed out.
Sunday morning we woke up and Ian made a delicious breakfast for us and we caught the quick bus the church! Score! We met John at church and then after church went to a buffet that only cost 6,000won...this is about $5. It was pretty good. As we were sitting there we looked out the window only to see it down-pouring....we are talking proper rain here folk. We all looked at each other and asked..."Does anyone have an umbrella." We all sheepishly shook our heads no. We decided that we were going to get wet...so why not get wet with a treat in our bellies. So our first attempt to beat the rain was a quick sprint over to McDonald's for a 500won ice cream cone...this is about 40 cents. By the time we finished our ice cream the rain had not let up a bit. So we started 'the long walk home.' It really isn't that far but we were all properly soaked by the time we got to Laura's. We changed our clothes and chilled out for a bit. Soon it was 7pm and I looked at Laura and Ian and said "I am beginning to feel like the bad smell that just won't go away..." So after 47 consecutive hours together....I left. I got on the bus and went home.
When I walked in the door Rhonda said "Holly is that you?!?!?!" "Good you aren't dead." I kind of forgot that someone might be worried about me. That was a nice feeling too. All in all it was a great weekend with great friends!
Hols
Fluff guys. I like that.
ReplyDelete