Monday, September 27, 2010

Cakes and Chuseok

Middle schoolers...I love kids. I love teaching. However, every time I think about teaching and see myself in a classroom it is always working with younger kids. I love first and second graders. I know that my strengths are in working with younger students. This year, I was challenged yet again to work with older students. Of the teachers at my school I have the most middle school classes. This always frustrated me because I really like working with the younger ones more...however, knowing that this would not change no matter what I did I decided to put my best foot forward and work hard to connect with, teach, and build relationships with these middle school students. In January I was given the I5 class. This class is the highest class we teach. The goal of most of these students is to go to a foreign language high school. They are good at writing, grammar, reading, and testing...but they are all hesitant speakers. My job was to get them to talk. I tell you I have never had to have more energy in teaching a class. I had to go every class with some crazy story....some funny antic-dote...some way to break the ice and see them laugh or smile. I also spent a lot of my time trying, begging, pleading them to open up and SPEAK....just speak to me. It took me the last 9 months...but these girls and one boy have opened up to me. I can tell you individual facts about each one....facts that they have shared with me...entrusted to me. We have gone through 5 debates together...those were hairy times...countless interview questions. Birthday parties, test preps, school tests, and countless venting sessions about how much work they have to do. These middle schoolers believe it or not have wormed their way into my heart.

This past month they have not been coming to ECC because they are studying for school tests. However, they knew that this was my last month teaching and they wanted to have a party for me....They all came to school on a night they did not have to be there and each wrote a nice letter to me. Then they pooled their money together and bought me some beautiful coffee cups and a delicious cake. I had no idea any of this was taking place. I was in the teachers room waiting to meet Ian, Laura, and John for curry and Lucy told me that I could leave yet. Not two minutes later the door to the teachers room opened and someone turned off the lights. All of my students came walking in with candles. They came over to my desk and gave me an envelope filled with their letters, a cd with pictures, a present, and a cake. How precious are these kids?!?!?!

My I5 class...Seon Won, Claire, Iris, Liz, Angel, Crystal, Roze, Me, Jennifer, Rosy, Amy, Millie, and Lucy
The one and only boy...what a trooper. What a smart boy. He WILL be a diplomat one day...I know it!
I was COVERED in chocolate...because I had to cut the cake and eat some of the delicious chocolate ribbon that was on the top!
This week three of my girls from my I3 class bought me the above cake, some earrings, a hair clip, and wrote me a nice note as well. I didn't get a picture with them yet...but I will soon. These girls are so sweet and I have been teaching them for the last 6 months.

Chuseok

This past week we had Chuseok break. While most of my friends jet setted to places like Vietnam, China, and the Philippines....I decided to save some money and spend some time getting ready to go home. Saturday was the day we hiked Namsan and did Norebong...then the kids flew off to China and I had a lazy Sunday at home. It was pouring rain so I decided not to venture out anywhere except the bakery to buy some bread for the soup I was planning to make. I had a glorious rainy Sunday. I watched some old 80's movies that I love, read a book, made a deliciously savory soup, took a nap, and planned the rest of my week. On Monday went to Insadong to finish my shopping. I hadn't really purchased anything Korean for myself and I had a list of things I wanted to get so I had to make that happen. Then I made the trip to Illsan to visit Pete and Kelly. I met Kelly at the train station, we went home and waited for Pete to get off work. He came home and we went out for some truly delicious galbi. It was so yummy! We were going to go and see a spontaneous movie but nothing was playing so we went home and watched one instead. I really enjoy spending time with Pete and Kelly. I am so happy that they are from Minnesota because I know I will get to see them and have many suppers with them when they return stateside in March. I spent the night on their air mattress and then the next day Pete went to watch some NFL with the boys and Kelly and I headed to Yongsan for a 4D movie....yes you read that right 4D.

I had never been to a 4 D movie but Kelly had and we were super excited. I introduced her to crepes...she introduced me to 4D...it was a good day. The whole time I was watching the movie I felt like I was on a ride at Disney World...it was that amazing. We saw the movie "Despicable Me" or 'Superbad' as they call it here in Korea. This is a great movie and I highly recommend it. 4D is insane...your seats move side to side, back to front, up and down, they also rumble, and kind of massage you at some parts. You get the 3D experience as well as bonus light shows, bubbles, puffs of wind, scent, and mists of water. I enjoyed myself thoroughly.
When the movie was over I said goodbye to Kelly and made my way outside. It was pouring....I was carrying all my Insadong loot, my camera, and my purse and didn't really want to get soaked...so I went back inside and found an umbrella for 2,000 won which is like a $1.50. I bought it, rolled up my pants, and walked the block to the train station. I have never in my life seen so much rain! The streets were flooded...buses were half covered with water, ajumas were wading across the street hip deep in water, there was water standing in the subway station! It was insane...needless to say I did not stay very dry...but my stuff did so that was okay. I got to Oido and walked out of the train station only to have the torrential downpour happen again. I didn't want to waste time waiting for the bus so I hopped into a taxi. The taxi ride from Oido station to my house is usually about 2,400 won...That day it cost me 5,000 because there was so much water and rain. It was comical.

Wednesday, I went for a run and started my packing. I got all packed in no time. It really helped me out that mom and dad were just here and were able to take a lot of stuff home for me.

Thursday was gorgeous so I spent some time outside, walked to the grocery story, and read a book. Then people started coming back from their vacations. Friday I had to teach. It was a nice break and even though I didn't go anywhere I felt like I was on vacation. It was perfect!

Hols

No comments:

Post a Comment