Sunday, September 26, 2010

Namsan Tower Hike and Norebong

Last weekend Laura, John, and Ian had a friend visiting them from South Africa. We wanted to show her a great time and she wanted to buy a new camera so we started out our day by going to IPark at Yongsan. Now, Carol and Vernon had hooked me up with a short cut to Yongsan that did not require us to transfer trains thus saving us about 20 minutes. Being the nice person that am I decided to let my friends in on this amazing secret. The exit that I usually take was under construction so we exited out exit 4 and there we saw in interesting site...Now...prostitution is illegal in Korea but we stumbled upon an alley where it was obviously taking place. The whole alley was window-walled buildings with chairs. These chairs almost looked like beauty shop booths. A young scantily clad woman would sit in the chair and wait for a potential customer. They then negotiate a price and then go into a room behind their chair. Well, I had heard about this place because I saw pictures of it on some guys blog...but I never knew exactly where it was. Being the curious beings we are we decided we wanted to walk down the street. It was late morning so it wasn't very busy and there were not too many girls in their booths...but we got the general idea. It was so sad. So mind blowing...so visible....so disturbing. It is like a bad car wreck...you feel sick...but you can't take your eyes off it. It did spark some very open and honest conversation but was so sad. It was something that I will always carry with me. Something that starts off as a story where I have a 'you will not believe what I saw starter' that hopefully always turns to a story of desperation and sadness, and never becomes a 'you will not believe what I saw...gossip...one upper type of story. I never want to cheapen what I saw. I always want to think of the desperation of the situation these women must be in...carry it with me...not lightly...but as something I need to pray about.

We went into IPark and Meg started to negotiate for the best price for her new camera. Ian and I went off to search for a new lens cap for my camera. I dropped my lens cap in China and it broke so I desperately needed a new one. Ian was interested in looking at an external hard drive for his computer. We left our group and set a meeting time and place and went off to explore the madness that is Yongsan. Now...if you are an electronic or technology junkie then IPark would be the most amazing place in the world for you...I am not an electronic or technology junkie. I am not the most tech savoy person in the world. I only learn how to use technology because it is convenient and makes life easier...but if I have an issue I usually come crawling to Kaley to fix it, make it easier, or fix it...her generation is better with that stuff :)

We quickly found a lens cap. I asked how much it was. The guy answered 10,000. I said it was too much and I walked away. He followed me and asked me how much I wanted to pay I said 5,000. He said, okay. I looked at Ian shocked...Ian looked at me and said..."Wow that was easy..he didn't even say 7...he just took it. I like this bloke." I paid my 5,000 and we were on our merry way to look for the next item on our list. IPark is 8 stories high and it is filled with electronics...There are 2 floors for cameras, 2 floors for computers, 2 floors for tv's and such, and 2 floors for household appliances. Ipods, mp3's and other dodads are throughout the madness...that is what it feels like if I stay in there too long...madness. The nice thing about IPark is that you can negotiate for the best possible price and you can also get "service" this is free stuff. For example...Meg was buying a camera...well she found the one she wanted...puller her nose up at the price so the guy threw in a case...pondered a little longer and she got a 4G memory card...pondered longer and got a tripod...a little longer and she got something else. It is a game...some people like Laura are REALLY good at it and some people like me get bored and don't get as much "service." But it makes you feel good to deal down and feel like you are getting something for free. Needless to say Meg got a beautiful new camera and a lot of "service" items...Well done!

After the camera purchase we went for some crepes...delicious...then we got out of the mall and went to hike Namsan tower. It was a beautiful day...absolutely stunning. The first picture is of Laura and I at one of the lookouts on the way up. The view was amazing and the weather is not as hot so not as much haze is hanging in the air...you can actually see.
Ian got tired on the way up so I decided to be a pal and give him a little ride. He felt the need to show me the way.
We think this may be Bukansan...but we really have no idea...in our heads this is and we totally climbed that two weekends previous!
I am really enjoying my new camera...when I actually take it with me. I am still learning and playing with it but I liked how this shot came out.
And this one....At the base of the tower there is a place for lovers to lock locks together and throw away the key. There are MILLIONS of locks here. It is crazy. They have had to build extra trees and such for people to lock their locks to.
Our view of the tower...again...the weather was gorgeous. The sky was clear and blue...the leaves are green...just starting to get the first glimmers of color on them, what a beautiful time of year.
Chuseok was the next week so there were a lot of traditional presentations happening all over the city. We were able to watch some traditional soldiers with swords, spears, and other extremely deadly weapons. They were not deadly to one another only stalks of bamboo and straw were hurt in these performances...
But they were good actors. They were really good with those guttural war cries...and just general shouts...I would totally have been intimidated if I had to fight them. You would possibly find me curled up in the fetal position begging them to not kill me...good thing I am not a soldier.
One of the views of Seoul...so mountainous. In the back there is still some haze in the air but you can see a mountain range behind the city line.
A couple expressing their love...awwwww
Group photo. This looks a little funny but we are on a kittywampus bench. It is angled in the middle so lovers will be forced to sit right next to each other. Ian is sitting in the bend. From left of right...Holly, Meg, Ian, Laura, John.
After our climb we went back to JungGang for a delicious meal. Please note our lovely bibs. Much of the cooking at Korean restaurants is done on a hot plate in the middle of the table. I really enjoy this 'family style' meal. It is such a communal way to eat.
After our supper we HAD to go and get some cheap ice cream. These are all about 50 cents...you can't go wrong with that...just avoid the corn chunk ice cream...I do not care for it. There are actual pieces of corn in the ice cream. blech...
One of about a million pigs on the strip. I took this picture for my dad because he really liked all those pigs.
After ice cream...we went for Norebong. This time I had my camera so I got some good pictures! Here I am rockin out with the tambourine...oh yeah...
The gorgeous ladies...
This blew my mind a little bit...I don't remember what song was playing but they all started dancing...with the exact same moves...I have a series of 4 pictures and they are all really similar, some show their amazing in sync dancing abilities better...I just really like John's face in this one the best!
Finally, I had to share this picture because this shirt is just so ridiculous...I so want one. I love the crazy shirts in Korea...I will never get sick of seeing some outrageous saying that makes NO SENSE on t-shirts. It is one of my favorite things about Korea.

As you can see it was yet another AMAZING weekend...they are quickly coming to a close. This week is my final week in Korea...my goal is to do two more blogs this week...one about my Chuseok adventures and one about my last weekend in Korea...Thursday night is Laura's birthday and my last night so we are going to have a Braai and I am going to have a good cry. Those words rhyme for those of you who are wondering...it is going to be very hard to say goodbye to 'the kids' as I so affectionately call Laura, John, and Ian. They have quickly become an extremely important part of my life...they have become my family away from my family. They are such a huge blessing to me. These last 6 months would not have been nearly as enjoyable with out them.

xoxo
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment