If you know me at all...you know that 2009 has not been my year. To be frank this year has stunk! Some really bad things happened to me and it just seems that this is not the year for anything to work in my favor. For the most part I have been able to embrace this strange phenomenon, with the help of my amazing friends, and not think too much about it. Today, I hit a low...I don't know or why maybe it is because I am tired, a little bit sick, frustrated, sad, whatever...but today put me over the top. It was my tipping point.
I was so looking forward to today...Ever since Sunday, when I went to church, I have been excited for Saturday. Apparently, the church I went to has a 20's and 30's group! I was super excited about this and today was their kick-off! I was planning on going. They were going to do an "Amazing Race' type thing around Seoul and then end with a BBQ at the church. If you know me at all this is TOTALLY my thing! I was so excited and I didn't even mind that I had to go by myself.
I left the house with plenty of time to spare. I was even a little early, shocking I know, so I went to Itaewon to poke around some shops for a bit. Well, I was still early but I thought it would be a good idea to go to the church because the only time I went was in a car and this time I had to take the train and use my feet. I thought I was paying attention with Sun-Young told me how to get the church, and I am normally so good with directions but today something was off...
Today, I was defeated...I started off taking exit 4...I walked about a 3/4 of a mile...didn't see the road I needed to turn down so decided to turn back...good thing I had that extra time! So I tried Exit 1...walked about 3/4 mile...didn't see the street...my thoughts...
"Hmmm....not like I can ask for directions....Let's try 2...I still have five minutes if I really hurry I can make it! God please let me make it! I am totally craving community....I am totally putting myself out there...God please BLESS ME!!!"
At this point my frustration level is high...4:00 has now come and gone and I am totally lost....At this point I am alsoabout a mile away from the train station and I am sweating and tired and sad...very very sad. So, I sat right down on the side of the road admitted defeat...got angry that my blessing didn't come...and had a grand old pity party for myself. Tears and all!
At this point I am thinking...Now what do I do...I don't just want to get back on the train and go home because it takes an hour and twenty minutes. I decide that I will go to the place I went last weekend and check out the digital flower show. Well two train transfers later, I found myself at City Hall Plaza...and I walked out to a concert! They were setting up so I walked around a bit and this is what I saw:
"There will be mountains, that I will have to climb, and there will be battles, that I will have to fight,...but victory or defeat...it is up to me to decide...but how can I expect to win if I never try? I just can't give up now! I've come to far from where I started from. Nobody told me the road would be easy and I don't believe that He brought me this far to leave me."
-Mary Mary 'Can't Give Up Now'
I started the day by stretching myself and going outside of my comfort zone. I tried...I climbed a lot of mountains...and I ignorantly thought that just because I was trying, that God would bless me and make everything just work out. I even had the audacity to tell God....'this is the last time I put myself out there!' Listening to that song was convicting. Conviction that didn't come from a real live person sitting next to me...conviction that God knew I needed so He provided a different way. The road isn't easy...this year isn't easy...but I can't give up now...He didn't bring me all the way to October just to leave me!
I still need community and a friend...but I also know that being alone and doing things by myself is good too...Needless to say I will not be going to church tomorrow because I don't know where it is :) However, I will worship...I will continue on the road...I know that God will not leave me...and I will get my blessing!
Holly Vail! I want to hope on a plane this instant and hang out with you!!!!! I totally need some Holly right now. I am missing you and your wisdom and laughter so much right now too. Thanks for your honesty in this post. I'm sorry that you had such a tough day. It is ironic, that today you were feeling lonely and wanting people around, while today I wanted nothing more than to curl up in a ball and be left alone for once... it is so hard to find contentment where we are in life sometimes! Just want to say hang in there! I know that God has beautiful plans for your life, and though the road seems long and lonely, He is using you for greatness. I will pray that friendships will form quickly and easily for you in the coming weeks.
ReplyDeleteYou're awesome Hols. Thanks for starting this blog, Manda sent me the link... it's fun to read of your adventures! I will try to post more when I do read something, it is just hard for me to do emailing, etc. sometimes. Praying you have a blessed week! LOVE YOU!!!!!! ~Laura K.
Holly, it sounds as if you had a really tough day. There are going to be a few of those along the way, no one is going to begrudge you a little pity party now and then, we all have them. But I am so proud that you decided to make the best of a bad situation and still find a way to enjoy yourself. Keep putting yourself out there and God will give you what you exactly what you need. I know it sounds hard but if anyone can carry this off it is you. Just rely on your strong faith and that indomitable Holly attitude, and know that you are not only in our thoughts but you are in our hearts adn prayers as well. Love Wade
ReplyDelete